Wearing red today?
Maybe you'd like to wear ravishing red lips too, but you don't know how to pick the right
shade. Here are some tips for red, lush lips!
1) Consider skin tone and overall coloring. Choosing the right red means knowing your skin
tone. This means if you have warm coloring, you should find a red with a golden or more brown
undertone. A cool tone has more 'blue' tones.
2) Look at the shape of your lips. Thin or full, red can be worn! If your lips are thin, opt
for lighter shades of red. For those of you with fuller lips, look for deeper, darker reds.
3) Look at the condition of your lips. True for any time or color, but with red, which
attracts so much glorious attraction, you sure don't want to have dry or cracked lips! Lips do
not produce oil like our skin, because they have no oil producing glands. The skin on our lips
is actually mucous membrane, so for them to remain smooth and chap free is a bit of a
challenge. Before you go to bed and in the
morning take a damp cloth and gently rub over all parts of your lips until smooth to touch.
Then a apply a lip moisturizer.
4) Lip Application Tips. Apply a very fine coat of loose powder first (helps to avoid any
bleeding & provides extra staying power!). Carefully line your lips with a co-ordinated liner
to keep the look focused and clean. Red makes mistakes very obvious, so be extra careful when
applying it. Be sure to blot so the extra doesn't end up on your teeth!
5) Balance. Red lips will be the focus of your face, so make sure the rest of your look
doesn't compete with it. A little mascara and eye liner will keep up the glamour without being
6) Enjoy the attention! Red lipstick is not for those who want to blend into the crowd, so be
ready to get noticed. If you're not comfortable with an all out red to start with consider
wearing a red-tinted gloss as a way to ease your way into it. But, I bet that you just
might find you like the attention!
Deanna Ferber is President of GlamKitty, a cosmetics and skin care company dedicated to helping
Busy Women with 9 Lives find their own Tabby Chic (tm). Take a ’paws’ in your day at