Why Flag Of USA Is Folded Thirteen Times?
By Ciniraj Mohamed
The flag of the United States of America is folded thirteen times when it is lowered or handed to the widow at the burial of a veteran. Here is the meaning of each of those folds according to one veteran.
1. The first fold - Symbol of life.
2. The second fold - Symbol of belief in eternal life.
3. The third fold - Honor and remembrance of the departing veterans, who gave a portion of their lives for the defense of the country to attain peace throughout the world.
4. The forth fold - It represents the weaker nature of American Citizens; for they trust in God, to whom turn in times of peace as well as in time of war for His divine guidance.
5. The fifth fold - Tribute to the country. (In the words of Stephen Decatur, "Our country, in dealing with other countries may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong").
6. The sixth fold - There the heart lie. Every citizens pledge allegiance to the flag of United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
7. The seventh fold - Tribute to the Armed Forces.
8. The eighth fold - Tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death.
9. The ninth fold - Tribute to womanhood.
10. The tenth fold - Tribute to the father.
11. The eleventh fold - Represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, that glorifying the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
12. The twelfth fold - Represents an emblem of eternity, that glorifying God the Father, the Son and the
13. The thirteenth fold - The stars are uppermost reminding the nation's motto "In God We Trust".
After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding the soldiers who served under General George Washington, and the sailors and marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones, who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the USA, preserving the rights, privileges and
(Editor's Note: There is some doubt as to whether the folds represent the original 13 colonies or to the meaning as Bro. Ciniraj has suggested. His version is provided by a veteran.
Ciniraj Mohamed is a missionary in India and may be contacted at: email@example.com)