Holisticonline.com Recipes Infocenter
Cajun Chicken Gumbo or Chicken & Seafood Gumbo
2 fryers or hens
2 boxes frozen cut okra or 4 cups fresh sliced okra, chopped
2 large bell peppers, chopped
2 large onions, chopped
6 stalks celery, chopped
1 tablespoon parsley
1 tablespoon thyme
1 teaspoon marjoram
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup flour
1--15.25 or 16 ounce can stewed tomatoes
1--10 ounce can Ro-Tel tomatoes
5 bay leaves
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Prepare Chicken: Boil and debone chicken; retain broth.
2. Make roux: Put vegetable oil and flour in skillet; mix and cook on low
temperature until dark brown. Stir constantly to make a roux.
3. Add chopped vegetables; cook until tender.
4. Add mixture to large soup kettle. Add tomatoes, strained broth from chicken,
and a little water.
Simmer 1 to 2 hours.
5. Add chicken meat and herbs/spices. Cook approximately 10 minutes.
6. Add seafood like shrimp, oysters, crab, etc. to the mix if you like to taste.
7. Serve over rice in a soup bowl.
More Articles on Food and Diet]
[Recipes Home][Great Reading][Holistic Living Home]
[ Nutrition Infocenter] [ Diet/Weight
Control Infocenter ][Holisticonline