Holisticonline.com Recipes Infocenter
l/2 1b okra
1- 1 1/2 cups minced chicken ( optional )
2 cups roughly chopped, peeled, seeded tomatoes (You can use canned tomatoes
instead if you prefer)
1 cup chopped onions 1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup minced carrots ( optional )
1/2 cup chopped minced green peppers
1/2 cup raw rice
1 cup small lima beans
2 cups corn kernels
7 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoon butter
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Wash, dry, and remove stem from okra. Cut into l/4-inch slices.
2. Heat butter in a large saucepan; cook onions, celery, peppers, and carrots
(if you wish) until wilted, 5-10 minutes. Add okra; sauté for 5 minutes,
stirring until the "roping" of the mucilage diminishes.
3. Add tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, stir in rice, reduce heat,
and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
4. Add lima beans. Simmer 10 minutes longer.
5. Add corn and chicken ( if desired) ; heat through for approximately 5
minutes. Season to taste and serve.
Makes 2 quarts of soup.
Skip the butter and use a vegetable spray for a healthy dish
For a different dish, you may omit beans and corn by slightly increasing the
amount of okra.
Use other vegetables such as chopped summer squash or green beans if they are
more readily available or for variety. Don't replace okra, though, as this is
responsible for thickening of this soup.
More Okra Recipes
More Articles on Food and Diet]
[Recipes Home][Great Reading][Holistic Living Home]
[ Nutrition Infocenter] [ Diet/Weight
Control Infocenter ][Holisticonline