Holisticonline.com Recipes Infocenter
There are many variations of seafood gumbo recipe as there are chefs. We already
have provided two others in here.
Cajun Chicken & Seafood
Cajun Chicken Gumbo
Recipes may use different stock base (fish, chicken, or meat), and ingredients (
crab, shrimp, or chicken).
l/2 lb ham chunk
1 ham hock
1 lb veal bones with meat
1 lb okra, cleaned, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 lb crabmeat
1 l/2-2 1b raw peeled medium shrimp
1-1/2 cups chopped onions
1-1/2 cups chopped green peppers
1/2 cup chopped celery
1-1/2 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup flour
2 tablespoon file powder
4 cups cooked warm rice
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp minced garlic
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3-4 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon butter
1. Cover ham, ham hock, and veal bones with 3 quarts water. Bring to a boil,
cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 hours. Strain and reduce stock to 2-1/2
quarts. Set aside.
2. Make a roux:
Note: The roux can be made in advance, stored in the refrigerator, and reheated
Combine flour and oil in a heavy 4-6- quart saucepan. Cook, whisking constantly,
until the flour turns a rich mahogany red-brown color. This will take 15-20
minutes over medium-high heat. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in a deep sauté pan or saucepan and sauté okra for 5-10 minutes, or
until lightly browned and the "roping" has stopped; drain.
4. In same pan melt butter, add garlic, onions, peppers, celery; cook until
wilted. Stir in tomatoes and reserved ham stock, bring to boil, reduce heat, and
simmer 10 minutes.
5. Stir the roux and, if it has cooled, reheat over low heat, stirring
constantly. Whisk the Warm ham stock and vegetables into the Warm roux to
6. Add okra, hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf,
thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Stir in 1/2 pound crabmeat, and simmer,
partially covered, for 1 hour
7. Add shrimp and remaining crabmeat. Simmer 5 minutes.
8. Remove from heat, cover, and let steep for 5 minutes longer.
9. Add file powder just before serving.
10. Serve with a mound of rice in individual bowls.
- Substitute vegetable spray for the butter.
- You can substitute a homemade fish stock or
canned broth for ham-stock.
- Add 1 - 1 1/2 pounds chopped smoked sausage
when you add the okra to the stock.
- You can add lobster meat, or cleaned
soft-shelled crabs for an elegant dish.
- You can add or substitute chicken or
- Reduce the amount of roux for a thinner
More Okra Recipes
More Articles on Food and Diet]
[Recipes Home][Great Reading][Holistic Living Home]
[ Nutrition Infocenter] [ Diet/Weight
Control Infocenter ][Holisticonline