3/4 cup pureed cooked (see
recipe) or canned pumpkin
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs (or egg whites from 4 eggs)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
2. Cream butter or margarine with sugar in a mixing
bowl. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
3. Stir vanilla and milk into pumpkin.
4. Add dry ingredients (step 1) to egg mixture
(step 2) alternately with pumpkin (step 3), beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Cover dough and chill at least 1 hour.
5. Rollout dough on a floured board until about 1/3 inch
thick. Cut shapes with a 3-inch doughnut cutter.
6. Fry 3 or 4 at a time in hot deep fat (about 375°
F or 190 deg C), turning to brown both sides. Drain on paper towels.
About 18 doughnuts and 18 "holes."