Danish Apple Custard
6 cooking apples
1/2 cup raisins
3 eggs, beaten (or substitute whites from 6 eggs)
2 tablespoons brandy
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar (you can substitute honey for sugar)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Sprinkle raisins with brandy. Let stand 30 minutes.
Drain raisins, reserving brandy.
2. Peel, core and slice apples. Arrange in rows in a buttered shallow 3-quart baking dish. Place dish in a preheated 350°
F (180 deg C) oven for 5 minutes so as to dry apples slightly.
3. Sprinkle raisins between apple rows.
4. Combine brandy (from step 1) with milk, cream, eggs, sugar and
cinnamon. Stir to dissolve sugar. Pour mixture over apples and raisins.
5. Place dish in a baking pan and pour
1/2 inch hot water into the pan. Bake in a preheated 325°F (160 deg C) oven
for 50 to 60 minutes or until the custard is set.
6. Serve warm or cold, with whipped cream.