Fried foods are not recommended for
health conscious individuals. We provide this recipe for your occasional
1 (3-pound) broiler-fryer chicken, cut into serving pieces
1 stalk celery (including leaves), cut into 2-inch pieces
1 clove garlic, cut into halves
1 small onion, cut into halves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup water
Fritter Batter (see recipe)
1. Place chicken, water, celery, onion, garlic, salt and pepper in 5-quart Dutch
oven. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is barely pink in center.
2. Prepare Fritter Batter as per the
3. Remove chicken from Dutch oven. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Cool slightly.
3. Heat 2-1/2 to 3 inches oil in a deep fryer or 5-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat until oil registers
350'F (175 deg C).
4. Dip chicken in Fritter Batter to coat. Add several chicken pieces to oil. (Do not
let the pieces to touch each other.)
5. Fry, turning occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken is golden and is no longer pink in center.
5. Place fried chicken on cookie sheet lined with paper
towels. Serve warm.
Note: You can keep the chicken warm
Makes 4 servings