Roasted Eggplant with Balsamic Vinegar
4 eggplants, each about 1.5 pounds (675 grams), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 teaspoons salt
Ingredients for Marinade
6 medium shallots, finely chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch basil leaves, finely chopped
2 sweet red peppers, roasted, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Marinate in 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar.
16 Nicoise olives
Fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200 deg C).
2. Place the eggplant pieces in a large colander. Sprinkle with the salt. Drain over a bowl for 30 minutes, tossing once or twice. Dry the eggplant with paper towels.
3. Combine the shallots, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, and pepper in a large roasting pan.
4. Place the eggplant in the marinade, tossing to coat evenly.
5. Transfer to the oven and roast until soft, about 45 minutes. Toss with a large spoon every 15 minutes to cook evenly.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool.
7. Add the basil and taste for seasoning.
8. Mound onto a serving dish. Garnish with the red pepper slices, Nicoise olives, and basil leaves.
Makes 6 servings