Apples With Savory Stuffing
6 large cooking apples
2 large potatoes (about 1 lb. or 450 gms)
3 stalks celery
2 oz. (60 gms) chopped nuts
2 tsp. vinegar
2 tblsp. chopped parsley
juice of 1 lemon
butter (substitute with olive oil) as required
fresh ground black pepper
1. Wash the apples. Take out the cores carefully, leaving a thick walled shell.
2. Boil and mash the potatoes with butter or olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper.
3. Mix in the beaten egg yolks, any of the apple pulp you may have, finely chopped, and the nuts.
4. Finely chop the celery and add that to the mixture.
5. Add the vinegar and lemon juice and season to your taste.
6. Stuff the mixture into the apples, putting a small piece of butter deep into the stuffing.
7. Sprinkle with buttered breadcrumbs, place the apples in a greased casserole and bake in a moderate oven (350 to 375 deg F or 190 to 220 deg C) for 20 to 25 minutes until the apples are well heated but not quite soft.