Tropical Fruit Salad with Mango Sauce
3 small pineapples
1 passion fruit
Lime or lemon juice
4 oz (100 g) seedless (pitless) black grapes
Note: You can substitute other fruits for your own
2 ripe mangoes
4 tbsp (60 ml) Superfine sugar
2 tbsp (30 ml) rum
Note: Skip sugar if you are watching sugar intake.
1. Cut each pineapple in half lengthwise. (Leave the green tops on.) Using a serrated-edged knife, cut out the flesh, leaving a thin border all round.
2. Cut the flesh into small pieces. Discard any woody central core. Place it in a bowl with a lid.
3. Cut the passion fruit in half. Scoop the seeds into the bowl.
4. Peel and dice the pawpaw. Discard the black seeds. Add it to the bowl.
5. Cut the banana into l/2 in (1 cm) chunks. Toss in a little lime or lemon juice. Add to the bowl with the grapes. Toss gently and cover with the lid. Chill until ready to serve.
6. Peel the skin off the mango. Now cut all the mango flesh off the seed (pits). Add it into a blender or food processor. Add the sugar and rum. Run the machine until smooth. Add lime or lemon juice to taste. Pour into a small container with a lid.
7. To serve, pile the fruits back into the pineapple shells. Place on serving plates. Pour the mango sauce into six dishes. Using a fork, remove a piece of the fruit from the pineapple shell. Dip the fruit in the mango sauce before eating.