Czarist Chicken Salad
4 broiler-fryer chicken breast halves (about 11/2 pounds)
4 small red potatoes, boiled, peeled, sliced
1/2 cup coarsely chopped deli-style dill pickle
1 onion quartered, divided
1 rib celery, quartered
11/2 teaspoons salt, divided (reduce if you are on a salt-restricted diet.)
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 cups cold water
1. In a deep, 2-quart saucepan, place chicken, celery and cold water.
2. Chop 1 quarter of the onion very fine and set aside. Add the remaining 3 quarters of onion and 1 teaspoon of the salt to saucepan. Bring it to a boil over high heat,. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Cool chicken and separate meat from bones. Discard the bones and skin. Cut chicken into thin strips.
4. In a large bowl, place chicken, potatoes, dill pickle and reserved chopped onion. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix together mayonnaise, sour cream and Worcestershire sauce. Gently add it to the chicken mixture. Cover and chill in refrigerator until serving time.
5. Garnish with boiled egg quarters, olives and tomato wedges.
Nutrition Information (Per Serving)
23 g protein
13.5 g total fat
4 g saturated fat
17 g carbohydrates
54 mg cholesterol
1050 mg sodium
Note: This recipe is high in salt. You can reduce the salt by lowering the amount of salt used the recipe and by washing the dill pickle in water and draining prior to use.