recipes, healthy foods, herbal teas, traditional recipes, crafts">
Losing That Extra Weight
Strategies for Successful Slimming
5. Make Simple Changes in Your Cooking or Recipes
- Whenever possible, replace butter with unsaturated oils such as olive, canola and soy oil.
- Use nonfat or low-fat milk instead of whole milk, and choose reduced-fat cheeses.
- Limit margarine and butter, which contains fats that can raise cholesterol and have been associated with cardiovascular disease risk.
- Substitute lean cuts of meat for fatty ones. Remove skins, which are fatty.
- Bake, broil or steam rather than fry. Sauté with a dash of oil, wine or tomato puree.
- Cut back on egg yolks, which are high in fat and cholesterol.
- Start with less fat, sugar and salt than called for, then adjust for taste.
- Season with herbs, spices, lemon juice or minced tangy vegetables --onion, garlic, parsnip, parsley -- instead of salt and butter.
- Forgo cream-based soups, sauces and gravies, or make them with skim milk. Choose vegetable-based soups and sauces.
- For baked goods such as cakes and cookies, substitute applesauce or other fruit purees for butter or oil; this maintains fluffiness. Cut back on sugar by one-half or more.
- Make pie crusts with unsaturated oils instead of butter or solid fats. Top desserts with fat-free frozen yogurt or whipped evaporated skim milk.
- Base appetizers on fresh or roasted vegetables, fruits, lean meats, breads and reduced-fat cheeses.
- Serve seasoned rice or grains instead of bread stuffing.
- Bake sweet potatoes in their skins. Season mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and herbs.
Page] [Next Page]
[Holistic Living Home][Holisticonline
are developed and maintained
Send mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with
comments about this web site.
All Rights Reserved.