Almond Soup from Spain
1 lb. (450 gms) whole almonds
1 green pepper
3 pimentos (the herb)
2 cloves garlic
2 slices rye or dark brown bread
1-3/4 pints water
1 dessertsp. minced onion
1 dessertsp. chopped parsley
2 tblsp. olive oil
fresh black pepper
1. Peel the almonds. Fry them with the minced onion in oil for a few minutes. Drain them well.
2. Cut the green pepper. Remove the seeds and inside veins. Chop.
3. Cube the bread into very small pieces.
4. Fry the chopped green pepper and bread with the minced garlic, parsley and pimentos until the green pepper is tender.
5. Pound in a mortar or mash well with a fork.
6. Stir the boiling water into the mixture. Cook very gently for a few minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon, season with salt and a touch of black pepper.
Serve very hot.